Post filled under : Photogrpahers
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions that prospective clients ask during our initial meeting.
- How long before the wedding date do we need to book you?
There are always some very popular dates during the year which seem to get booked up way in advance. To be safe, once you have made your mind up, make the booking and pay the booking fee. That way you know that your photographer has your name diarised for that date, and you’re not going to be disappointed!
- How long before the time do you arrive at the wedding?
If we are doing an 8 hour wedding (including the dressing of the bride), then I would prefer to arrive at the venue where the bride is dressing 2 hours before the wedding. Read : Tips for the Bride
- What equipment do you shoot with? Do you shoot digitally or with film?
We LOVE Nikon, and shoot with full frame Nikon D700 & D800 cameras and a range of their finest lenses, utilising off camera flash when required.
- Will you be the actual person taking our photographs?
Yes I am. I will be the primary photographer at your wedding.
- Do you work with an assistant?
An assistant will accompany me for weddings longer than 5 hours as this enables me to obtain a wider variety of coverage, ensuring that we get all the magic moments. Whilst I’m primarily focused on the two of you, my assistant gets lots of the fun, behind the scenes photos. The benefit to you, is that he acts as a second shooter at your wedding, ensuring you have a wider variety of interesting photographs.
- Do you enhance and photo-shop our photographs before we see them?
During the editing process, your photographs are sorted and I personally edit each photograph taken. This includes basic contrast, brightening, cropping, etc. Should the couple require advanced photoshopping, where extensive airbrushing is required, this can easily be done, but will be quoted for separately.
- Do we need to cater for you at our wedding?
Yes, wow that would really be appreciated! It becomes a long day working alongside the two of you capturing all those special moments, and it’s also great to take a break and re-fuel whilst you and your guests are enjoying your meal. You needn’t seat us alongside your guests, but suggest a room or table close by where we can keep an eye on the proceedings, and not miss a thing!
- Can we do a pre-wedding shoot before the wedding?
Absolutely! I love doing a pre-wedding shoot before your wedding day. This enables you to get an idea of the way I work, and also makes me feel less of a stranger at the main event! Engagement Shoots
- If our wedding is being held outside of the Cape Town, will you still be able to do our photos?
The prices we quote are for weddings being held within a 50 km radius of Cape Town. This includes the areas of Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franshhoek, Somerset West, Noordhoek, etc. Please indicate whether your wedding is being held further out of town, and I will quote you accordingly!
- Do you do destination weddings, i.e. UK, Seychelles, Zanzibar, Greek Isles?
Absolutely! Look forward to accompanying you to your favourite destination!! Wedding in Zanzibar
- Do you offer coffee table or story book albums?
In the past few years, we have noticed that fewer couples are requesting traditionally printed photographs. To my delight more are opting for these exquisite modern albums. We encourage you to select your favourite images so that we can design your beautiful coffee table or story book album. In addition to this, we design beautiful Brag Albums for parents, grandparents, etc
- Why are photographers all so differently priced?
Aaah, the price thing!
Remember like most things in life – you get what you pay for. Generally your wedding budget will get to determine your choice of photographers, but remember that your photos and DVD/video are the only permanent memories that you get to keep and share with your children one day. My advice to you? Don’t cut corners with your memories. Always take into consideration the experience that your photographer has, along with the amount of time she/he has been in the industry. Make sure you get to see a complete wedding that the photographer has done, and not just a few select pics from a wide selection of weddings. Meet the photographer, and make sure that you can visualise her/him at your wedding, being amongst your family and friends. You need to feel safe with your photographer, and know that she/he really is going to capture the best day of your life with accuracy and style! Click here for our price list.
- Do you have different packages for us to choose from?
Absolutely! We have 3 different packages for you to choose from. A 3 hour, 6 hour and 8 hour. The smallest packages are popular for small intimate weddings where there are only a few guests, and the couple only want the ceremony and some general groups and couple photos done. The other two packages are suitable for the larger and more traditional weddings. We can also design a tailor made package to suit your requirements. It’s Your wedding, and we want it to work for you….
- How do you deal with a situation where the family’s of the bride and groom have remarried, and there are step parents?
During our consultation, I raise this matter with the couple and ask whether there are any sensitive family issues that I need to be made aware of. I make notes of everything and handle the matter very tactful yet sensitive manner. I have no desire to offend anyone on your wedding day.
- Do you do same-sex weddings?
Yes we do!
- Our wedding is going to be very formal. How will the photographer and her assistant dress?
My assistant and I prefer to wear black on your wedding day, and dress in a very neat yet comfortable manner.
- How long will we wait before the photographs are edited and ready?
Your photographs should be ready ±4 weeks after your wedding day. The editing process is time consuming and I don’t rush it . I personally edit each and every photograph myself. During peak season we do get exceptionally busy, and may shoot 2 or 3 weddings during a weekend. In the event of an international wedding, I make every effort to have the photographs ready before the couple leave SA.
- Can you recommend other service providers like videographers and make up artists that we can use?
We are familiar with a wide network of service providers, and would be happy to refer you to some amazing videographers, DJs, venues, make-up artists, etc.
Click HERE to view Esther Reid’s Portfolio Images!
At some stage of planning their event, clients often takes a look at their budget and some are tempted to give a friend or family member the responsibility of taking some “nice” photos of their special day instead of hiring a professional photographer. My advice to you?
Don’t do it!! It is too big a responsibility to give someone who may not have the skill or correct equipment that they require. The would possibly really rather be enjoying the festivities and celebration as guests at your wedding. We hear of countless horror stories which mostly end sadly with ruined images, and in many cases no photographs at all of the most memorable day of their new lives together.
Taking creative photos and accurately capturing your special memories is a HUGE responsibility and best left to the professionals for the following reasons:
- Professionals have full frame cameras, (that are able to work in challenging light) along with excellent lenses and flashes – achieving consistent high quality standards
- Professionals always have backup equipment on standby – in the unlikely event of technical problems
- They have acquired experience and skill over many years, and hundreds of functions and weddings
- Each photograph is individually edited with calibrated monitors by the photographer
- Strict backup procedures are followed, ensuring your photographs are stored in multiple storage devices
- They have access to the best selection of creative albums to showcase your event
- By attending workshops and courses, they stay abreast of popular trends and concepts